Monday, January 7, 2013

Bridging the Divide at a Snail's Pace

If you know what's up with Dragon Ball, then you know that's Trunk on the left and Vegeta on the right.  If you don't know what's up with Dragon Ball, well, just know that Vegeta is Trunks' dad, and they have some issues because, as the prince of a now-decimated alien race with some serious entitlement issues, Vegeta has trouble showing his love for his son.  Anyway, I hadn't thought about Dragon Ball in a looooooooong time until getting a card from my friend, Suzawa Sensei, in Japan.  These stamps were on the envelope (deliberately, I have no doubt).  As I turned the envelope over to open it, I see that it's sealed with a "福."  "Fuku," meaning "happiness," but also part of "Fukuoka (福岡)," the prefecture where I lived when I was in Japan.  I could hear Suzawa-Sensei's voice as I opened the card and read the words within, including this gem:

"弁護士業は人間の暗い部分をみている仕事ですよね。厳しく辛いこともあるでしょうが、自分を見失わず前進して下さい."

For those who don't read Japanese, that loosely translates to--"Wouldn't you agree that lawyering is a profession where you see the dark parts of humanity?  There're sure to be some bitterly tough times, but don't lose sight of yourself as you move forward."  Deep stuff, huh?  And pretty spot on with how I feel right now.  Crazy considering I haven't talked to Suzawa Sense face-to-face in years, but I suppose that's what makes certain friendships deeper than others.

Anyway, I guess you could say the message would've been the same via a text or email, but seeing Suzawa Sensei's staid handwriting lent it some gravity that 1's and 0's will never, ever be able to replicate.  I would usually take this opportunity to sing the praises of letter writing over text and emails, but I now know the futility in that (speed and convenience trumping personal touch in the 21st century).  Still, I hope at least some of you reading this are inspired to risk some hand-cramping and write a letter (or two) to those you hold near and dear.  Surprise them with some snail mail :)

--KM

"the wings are wide, the wings are wide. wild card inside, wild card inside."

1 comment: