Thursday, January 10, 2013

Option: Unknown

After a mild pursuit, I established second contact with the girl, and we reached an accord:

WHEREAS, pursuer, having enjoyed the first face-to-face encounter with pursuee, is interested in setting up a second face-to-face encounter;

WHEREAS, at this time pursuee does not object to a second face-to-face encounter with pursuer; and 

WHEREAS, pursuee, by the machinations of the universe and other powers beyond the control of mere mortals, currently possesses an inhospitable social calendar that makes impossible the setting of a second face-to-face encounter in the near future.

NOW THEREFORE, the parties hereby agree to enter into a two-week long hiatus in order to accommodate the inhospitable social calendar of pursuee.  The parties further agree that toward the end of said hiatus, they will reconnect to explore the possibility of a second face-to-face encounter, possibly over dinner.  However, given the uncertainties of the universe's machinations, in no way is a second face-to-face encounter, dinner or otherwise, guaranteed at the end of the hiatus.

The accord was reached via text message, a form of communication at which I struggle.  Lacking the social cues of talking in person, the vocal tones of a phone call, or even the subtle clues in a letter or email, I am really bad at reading a person over text message.  So, the girl's true intentions remain unknown to me.  Not that I'm questioning her integrity or anything, but is anyone really that busy?  Perhaps it's just me and my lack of any social life, but it seems a bit fishy that someone is completely booked up solid for such a long time.  Unless, it's with other pursuers.

And the plot thickens.

Ah, the other pursuers--the legendary Super Gentlemen!  But then why even agree to reconnect with me down the road?  It's certainly not for a lack of ability on her part to be direct/blunt with me.  So I can only infer that it means I'm still in the game!  Perhaps not as Option 1 or Option 2 or even Option 99, but as an option.  A mystery option--Option: Unknown.

Unfortunately, although it's a pretty catch moniker, Option: Unknown is not the ideal place to be positioned.  To borrow an analogy from sports, I feel like a team "on the bubble."  It's the last day of the regular season, and I've done all I can to advance to the post-season.  However, I won't advance unless another team (or teams) falter.  My fate is no longer in my hands, an excruciatingly frustrating situation that lends itself to a healthy dose of second-guessing--"If only I'd said this or worn that!  If only I'd zigged instead of zagged?  If only I'd made that left turn at Albuquerque!"  Even more frustrating given the knowledge that I was given a golden opportunity to seize the mantle of Option 1 when the girl and I first met.  Having blown that opportunity, my success now relies on the failure of others (I suppose this is where the ancients would insert: All's fair in love and war).

Anyway, so I suppose this is Act II of what will likely be three acts.  Whether the thing is a tragedy or not has yet to be determined.  The suspense is killing me!

Figuratively, of course.  

--KM

"It had to be you, it had to be you."

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete