Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spring Forward

Did you know that today is the first day of Spring?  I didn't.  Not until I was awoken this morning with a pleasant text from Double D--"Happy Persian New Year!"  Or, to be more precise, not until I did Wikipedia on "Persian New Year" and learned that it's celebrated on the first day of Spring.  Which makes a lot of sense.  Certainly more so than celebrating the new year at an arbitrary date in the middle of Winter.

I usually don't track the seasons.  Well, with the exception of Autumn.  When the calendar flips to September, I start dreaming of Autumn's arrival.  The crisp weather and how it heralds the holiday season; that smooth continuous ride from Halloween to Thanksgiving to the Winter Holidays.  I didn't bother with Spring, as it was merely a reminder that Winter was gone and the hot, muggy, unbearable days of Summer were soon to invade my personal space.

This year, though, I feel pretty good about Spring, and it's arrival coincides with some pep in my step that I've felt these past few weeks.  Part of that may be the work of Daylight Savings and the longer days, but there's something more there.  Something that can't be explained by simple human manipulation of the clock.  It feels like ice that's been encasing my spirit is slowly starting to melt away.  Drip.  Drop.  Drip.  I feel groggy and disoriented, but in a good way.  Like a bear coming out of hibernation.

Of course, Spring signals rebirth and renewal, so perhaps that's what's behind my feelings.  It is the Year of the Phoenix, after all.  An omen of good things to come?  Stay tuned.

-KM

"Good morning.  On this day we become legendary."

No comments:

Post a Comment