Thursday, February 28, 2013

I Saw A Sign

The other day I woke up feeling like absolute shit.  Mind and body were in tatters.  I was about to steel myself for the morning routine and a long day of work when something deep within told me I should take the day off due to medical necessity.  And so based on this inner voice, I notified the Powers That Be of the situation and went back to bed.

Several hours later I received a text from a good friend--"I got let go."  The texts that followed explained that his employer had just notified him that they'd be separating him (with great regret, naturally), and he was wondering if later that evening I'd be able to take a look at some paperwork before he signed his life away (or at least all of his claims).  My thumbs scribbled in reply that, as luck would have it, I'd taken the day off and would be available whenever he could swing by my neck of the woods.

When my friend arrived, it was right in the middle of what turned out to be a beautiful winter afternoon in Southern California.  For those of you who haven't had the privilege of experiencing such an afternoon, it means that the sun is out, the sky is clear, and the temperature is a very comfortable 65 degrees.  I should also mention that I live somewhat close to the ocean, so amplify that beautiful winter afternoon with the beach, crashing waves, and a gentle sea breeze.  Without any sense of hyperbole, it was perfect.

We stepped inside "my office," and I took a look at his paperwork, which turned out to be the usual boilerplate affair.  My friend being the smart guy he is, I suspect he didn't need confirmation of that from me, but just a place to get away from it all.  And so he began to give me the lowdown on the whole situation.  Apparently it was something that'd been festering for a while.  He was an ambitious and talented individual constantly bumping up against the low ceiling that his position afforded.  Numerous requests for additional responsibilities and opportunities for growth were unceremoniously squelched.  The image in my mind was that of a cooped-up tiger growing and growing as the cage stays the same size.  In that situation I suppose at some point push just has to come to shove.  So from that perspective, the separation was somewhat of a blessing in disguise--a chance to finally stretch out.  An opportunity.

Having exhausted the topic of the separation, our minds turned to grabbing a bite to eat.  My friend was craving a sandwich.  As luck would have it, consulting The Internet revealed that within walking distance of my apartment was an Italian deli offering delicious sandwiches.  The decision being made, we stepped back outside into the sun-drenched afternoon, the perfect weather still in tact.  My friend, being a true Angelino, suggested we drive the three blocks to the deli, but I convinced him that walking was the correct course of action, especially given the nice weather.  And so we set off on foot.

After a block or so, we came across this:


The steady handwriting gave the message a sense of urgency and authority.  And yet, the fact that it was done in chalk gave it an ephemeral feel; a sense of fragility.  You can't really tell from the picture, but the way the sun was hitting it made the sign kind of glow.  The whole thing had a sense of otherworldliness to it.

My friend and I both stopped to look given the reason why he'd come to visit me in the first place, the sign acting as an exclamation point to the conversation we'd just had.  An opportunity had presented itself, and it was his alone for the taking.  I guess he didn't need a sign to point out the obvious, but it was nice that the Universe intervened to drive the point home--everything happens for a reason.

It's funny because I'd recently shifted away from that line of thinking as a bit too fatalistic.  You know, that you're just haplessly waiting for the Universe to move you in the right direction; like you're some claymation doll that needs to have every movement decided for him.  The lack of autonomy to that way of living life started to sit poorly with me, so I shunned the gods and embraced the unique power of Man--we make our own destiny!

And just when you think you've got it all figured out, a day like this happens, where everything seemed to move lock step to bring my friend and I to this literal and figurative sign.  Maybe it's a cop-out, but I'm starting to think there's probably truth in both sides of the coin--the Universe can only bring you so far, the hard part is up to you.  And so I suppose the true meaning of that familiar refrain comes slightly more into focus.

Carpe diem, friends.

--KM

"I get by with a little help from my friends."

No comments:

Post a Comment